I just enabled comments on my blog. Anyway..
These past months, I've been thinking a lot. About life, purpose, you know. Success, happiness, that sort of stuff.
I've been drifting all along like an aimless boat, not knowing what will happen, what I want, and not giving a damn about it. I didn't know what success felt like, because I never did set any goals to reach. Yet, looking back on the last quarter of 2008, I've suddenly realized that things are much clearer now. It seemed like a dream, but now it all makes sense.
It all came from my writing, but since I've been blabbing about it for so long at you all, I think I'll not mention it in detail. However, it is what gave me my first sense of success.
My first goal was to hit 60 thousand words, the average length of a novel. 75 thousand, perhaps, for some publishers, but I set it at the former. I never really thought I would hit that goal. It seemed just like the clouds; I could see it, even envelope myself in it, but it would never become tangible in my hands. And yet... I simply persisted.
It was hard work, perhaps, but the real secret is.. some sort of blind, unwavering passion. Sometimes, you just have to go a little crazy. Sometimes, just grab inspiration from the wildest things. Dream big, jump in, don't plan, and don't stop.
I hit my goal a long time ago. And now, it's still inching its way upwards, towards the 75 thousand mark. Not because I'm forcing anything in, but because my characters demand it.
Don't think about how far there is left. Don't discourage yourself by thinking 'there's like a crapload more to do'. There is much more to you than you think. Just take things a little at a time. Looking down at the ground, you slowly inch forth. Progress may be like a snail, but keep moving. Putting your feet, one in front of the other, repeating the same motions, suddenly you look up, and there it is. There you are, at your goal, at the place you never dreamed you'd be.
You may not have done a very good job, but you've done it. You've achieved what you've always wanted. You've done what you never thought you could do.
The next time round, the difference is, you know it's possible.
And you know, without a hint of hesitation, that you can do it again.
1 comment:
Hmm.. Very inspiring i must say :)
Post a Comment